Saturday, May 1, 2010

Everybody's working for the weekend.


Ahhhh....the weekend. I was pretty excited once I saw Friday. I was pooped. Wednesday I did not have to watch videos, just more paperwork. I am pretty sure that they know everything about me, which is a little intimidating at times. In the afternoon I did more observations in other classrooms and not my own. Interesting, but kind of odd. I would have like the opportunity to be in my room more, so that I would be able to see the setup of the day. This would have helped in making the lesson plans for the upcoming week, but aparently that is not how they do things. After work I came home and cooked dinner from a box. We had one of those Macaroni Grill things...it comes with noodles, spices, grated cheese, and sundried tomatoes. All you have to do is add the chicken, water, and butter. Very simple, but so yummy! Then I headed to bed around 9 PM for my early morning the next day.

My alarm rang at 4 AM for my 5:30 AM shift. I am one of those people who must set my alarm to allow snooze time. I just can't get up immediately unless I realize I have overslept. In that case the rest of my day is ruined. I find myself running to get ready and the rest of my day is off. I need time to wake up and put on my happy pants. I didn't sleep too well that night; I was too fearful of oversleeping and being late for my first early shift. I found out that if you are a minute late, then they dock you 15 minutes on the time clock. I am not entirely sure how legal that is, so we are looking into it. Anywho, I was not late. In fact, I was early. Shock! Actually I have been on time and/or early every day! Sorry, I have to give myself props for this because I am not the most punctual person. I found that I really enjoyed the early shift. The morning was so productive. We (Shauna, my coworker, and I) were able to get so much done... we organized some shelves, laminated fun decorations for Cinco de Mayo, and other odd jobs around the room. The kids slowly started trickling in around 6ish and then another wave of kids came around 7:30. I spent the entire day in my classroom. It was glorious! We also had a team meeting to get everyone on the same page. We are behind on observation portfolios, which are really great in theory. Every child has a portfolio that the teachers add to every week. It can be simple things like Johnny learned to tie his shoe, or Susie was able to say her ABC's. Really great, right? I agree, until you realize that I have 28 kiddos and the portfolios have not been updated since August of 2009. I love jumping into something and already feeling like I am drowning in it. So refreshing. Not. Sorry, I am a wee bit bitter about this. I did find out that all of the people on my team can help on the portfolios, so we have divided the kids up amongst us. We each have 7 kids to make observations for. It is a good thing. I also found out that I am loosing one of my team members to the toddler classroom. Major whomp. I have a very attention needy group, so the more hands the better. After work I got an official ID. I can now purchase things on base without any help. I am a big girl. I can now by a soda from the commissary. Small victories my friends. Small victories. This is a big joke with us because I was told that I did not have permission to purchase anything on base with my installation pass. I could enter the commissary, PX, or anything else, but not purchase. Where is the logic in this? Now I am a big kid. I can buy things all by myself.

Friday I had my normal shift hours from 9-6. I spent the first half of the day watching videos circa 1975. Always fun to see how far we have progressed in fashion. Other than that, I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know. I couldn't imagine that a random person on the street wouldn't know either. Yeesh. It was training for the sake of training; just so they can say they did it. I went to my little training room, sat down to my 8 videos, and thought about the numerous things I would have liked to be doing. After lunch I came back to my room to enjoy the rest of the afternoon with my kiddos. We had cake for a birthday celebration and played outside. It is amazing what sugar does to a little person. It is like we injected them with crazy juice. After our outdoor time we came inside and closed down the room. I really like my team members. They seem really supportive and like good people. We went to eat italian food for dinner, but this italian place is located in the back of a park. It is pretty incredible!
This is a tree in their beer garden. It catches my eye every time.
The beer garden outside. On a sunny day you would not be able to find a seat out here.
The inside. I know it is dark, but it was the best picture I could get. The pictures on the walls are a mixture of famous people and random Italian families.

Today I slept in. It was glorious. We were going to go to the MaiMarkt, but it was rainy and yucky outside so we opted for lunch and a movie. Of course we ate Greek to satisfy our weekly indulgence, and then we went to see Percy and the Olympians. It was pretty cute. I have spent a large majority of the day reading. There is nothing like curling up with a good book on a rainy day. It is oddly satisfying. Tomorrow we are going to Ramstein. I can't wait to see what fun we find :)

No comments:

Post a Comment